Healthy Low-Fat Banana Zucchini Bread
One great thing about living in the boonies is the local, fresh farmers markets! King and I are regulars and can't get enough of their goodness. I love picking up the fruits and vegetables and just smelling them. They actually have a smell! However, there is something to be said about the selection, "limited." Right now there are plenty of oranges, grapefruit, pecans, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini! I have to get very creative so that we don't get tired of the same things :) I love making bread to go along with soups and salads. I found this recipe online and cleaned it up a bit. Hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does :)
2 cups freshly ground flour (wheat, spelt, kamut, rye...)
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup raisins or walnuts
Beat eggs with sugar, oil, applesauce, mashed banana and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Fold in zucchini and nuts/raisins. Pour into 2 greased bread pans.
Bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.